In a perfect world:

• Jacob Zuma and all the rest of his uneducated and ignorant supporters would be cured of AIDS by having a shower
  • Manto would be able to drink alcohol to her hearts content without it affecting her brand spanking new liver and then heal any ailments by eating beetroot.
  • Nelson Mandela would live to be 100 years old
  • 3rd degree would actually make sense sometimes and not just be a TV show with a presenter full of attitude
  • Tokyo Sexwale would be voted in as president and not jump on JZ’s band wagon like he has done
  • Neledi Pandor would have more of an effect on the department of education and 2008 matriculates would have a higher standard of pass rate

These things are highly likely to not ever happen. So what do we do instead? Some of us ignore the issues going on around us (like I do), some of us write political articles (such as this one) in the hopes of creating some awareness, some of us kick up a fuss and down our country at every opportunity, and a lot of us plan to make a difference, tomorrow. For most of us, tomorrow never comes.

What is the solution?

Immigration for those of us who can’t handle “third worlding” any longer. That way, you will solve your problems, and eliminate a small amount of negativity from our country.

If immigration is not for you, support our government as far as possible, without compromising our morals. Don’t become another negative statistic that aids all the corruption, dishonestly and crime factors.

Vote in the election. Have your say. Your opinion does count. Imagine if 20 000 other people also stayed at home that day and thought the same insecure thought ‘it won’t make a difference if I vote or not”.

We are South Africans. Yes, there is too much crime. Yes, rape is inhumane and unjust. Yes, there is corruption more deep rooted than even we know about. There are far too many cons of being in this country.

But there are a lot of pros too, that sometimes we overlook or dismiss as unimportant.

This is South Africa. In less than 13 years, look how far we have come. We have won two world cups, we’re hosting another in two years, black people are now licensed to be human and do what whiteys have long taken advantage of, such as going to watch a movie at ten o’clock at night, or shopping in the same malls, or drinking from a tap in a public bathroom.This is an enormous change!

When I go abroad to travel, I’m looking forward to defending my country and setting the record straight “Not only do we not have lions as pets, we also have malls with electricity, we have streets of tar, we have multi racial schools, sports events that involve every single South African citizen, we have local productions on TV that are worthy of International broadcasting, such as Isidingo, or the Oscar winning movie, Tsotsi, which was remarkable to watch”.

I am proud to call myself South African. You should be too.

Comments

1. says

“In less than 13 years, look how far we have come.”
    Yup, from a first world industrialised country to a third world shithole with crime rates and power outages that make Baghdad look like Disneyland. We’ve come quite far indeed.

2. says

During Apartheid poverty existed, Edward.

I saw it for my own eyes when I patrolled Mbekweni township near Paarl when I was a member of the SADF.

South Africa has always been a thirld world country, it’s just that rich whiteys were insulated from much of it.

That’s too bad. I think rich whiteys should suffer along with the rest of us. Of course, that is just a vain hope. The rich always have better options than the rest of us rabble.

Wealth is your passport to any destination.

3. says

“During Apartheid poverty existed, Edward.”

That’s not the point, Richard. I don’t think I ever said it didn’t exist. But black poverty during apartheid doesn’t even come close to black poverty today. Ditto for illiteracy, AIDS, life expectancy rates, etc. And I’m not just talking about individual wealth. I’m talking about things like ESKOM, which is run by a bunch of incompetent kaffirs who nevertheless are rewarded with big fat salaries.

It’s tragic that instead of wanting to better the lot of the blacks, you want to bring down the Whites who have acquired what they have by decades of hard work. Instead of building, you seek to destroy. Instead of considering White people an asset, you embark on a crusade against us (I have a hard time understanding how you can bash based on skin colour when you are of the same skin colour yourself. Does that mean you’re bashing yourself too? But maybe you do it because you feel inferior to those of us who have achieved something even though we wouldn’t be considered “rich” by any standards, and you find consolation in sticking to the kaffirs because they wouldn’t be able to claim superiority over you). You are one confused oke, Richard. You are mixing up two things — class and skin colour. In post-apartheid SA, there are many rich blacks, and yet I don’t see you wage a vicious hate-fest against “rich kaffirs”.

4. says

“You are one confused oke, Richard”

I think thats rich coming from you, Ed. They say that if you don’t have anything nice to say you should rather keep quiet. Perhaps its time you excersized that right.

5. says

“They say that if you don’t have anything nice to say you should rather keep quiet.”

Really? And who shall determine what is nice and what isn’t? Hearing the truth isn’t nice when it doesn’t fit into your world view, hey? Indeed, the truth is no friend of your beloved KAFFIRS.

At any rate, were we to apply those words of wisdom to Richard, he’d have to shut down his blog, because, clearly, he hasn’t got anything nice to say about White people.

“I’m sick of hearing your bullshit, when you clearly won’t tolerate anyone else’s.”

Well my dear, you obviously have got no clue about that thing we call logic. Aside from presenting the decline that South Africa has registered on all levels in the past 13 years in positive terms, you go around spewing your circular logic kak all over the place. In simple English (which by the way does not seem to be one of your points of strength), the pot is calling the kettle black. In other words, you are a bloody hypocrite.

I recommend that you enroll in Logic 101, but I understand that you would have to leave the continent for that, and surely it’s unadulterated suffering to live in the absence of your dearly beloved KAFFIRS. And while you’re at it, do learn proper English grammar and spelling. May I also suggest that you work on your reading skills, because you obviously have the impression that I was trying to silence people..?

TO BE SILENT IS TO BE COMPLICIT. AND YET YOU ARE NOT EVEN SILENT. YOU ARE A CHEERLEADER OF THE CRIMINAL GANGS ROAMING THE COUNTRY AND SPREADING DEATH AND DESTRUCTION. ROT IN HELL YOU KAFFIR-LOVING WHITE LIBERAL TRASH. YOU’VE GOT THE BLOOD OF INNOCENT PEOPLE ON YOUR HANDS.

6. says

The lucky thing is, I never claimed to be an English professional. I write what comes to mind. I won’t defend that here, though.

Your last sentence just makes me grateful that you deleted me offline, and that I didn’t get too involved in your life – looks like I have saved myself alot of effort.

I’m done with you now Ed, you may run along and piss off the planet one more person at a time, you’ve succeeded with me.

7. says

Involved in my life? You must’ve been smoking some good dagga, china.

Now — I don’t recall ever posting anything that is objectionable to you on your own blog, so why don’t you piss off if you don’t like what I’m writing? What’s the matter, is the criticism of your KAFFIR friends too much for you? Is it because it puts holes in the childish world you’ve constructed around you? I believe in freedom of speech. Absolute freedom of speech. Apparently you and your ilk don’t.

8. says

By the way Sheena — since you started hanging dirty laundry for public consumption, you ought to know that I am not in the habit of involving self-centered trash in my life.

9. says

**shakes head sadly**

It must be hard being you. Leave this alone now, Richard won’t appreciate us lambasing eachother here. Plus, I am officially bored of you.

10. says

Nice article Sheena. I agree with most of what you had to say. We as South Africans should be proud of our country. We should be aware of BOTH the pros and cons of staying in this part of the world. This to me does not mean that we have to keep quiet about the things that worry us. To really make a democracy work, we, the electorate, have the right to complain and to keep complaining until something is done about that which is worrying us. Using our vote is not the end of it. I have never heard of any politician that has kept his/her pre-election promises, we have to keep them on their toes. I agree that if we criticize it should be constructive criticism. We should also be prepared to praise when things go well. We do not have to support the government of the day, we have to support the principals of democracy and the rule of law. Enjoy your trip abroad.

11. Cricket says

What would you tell someone who was thinking about moving to the Cape Town area- specifically the peninsula from the US? A stupid, foolish move? Or a wonderful idea? What are the pros and what are the cons?

12. Cricket says

Being we are not independently wealthy I do believe I would need a job. Where can I get one? :) Seriously, I want to know what the pros and cons are of life in the Cape Town area. If we move this is going to be huge. Is crime as bad as it shows in the media? Can our son get a good education in the school system? I have been to SA 5 times, my husband grew up there and we both really like it there. The thing that has always kept us in the US is making a living. Everytime I have been to SA I have come away wondering what I can do to make a difference in the lives of the people. I can only see things changing one person at a time.

13. says

Cricket – there are a lot of things I could tell you. To be honest though, financially you would probably be better off in USA. Education wise, your son will have the best available to him, depending on whether you chose private schooling, or a better public school. It depends on which area you chose to live in really.

The crime is bad. Media articles sometimes do blow it out of proportion, but if you are prepared to live with locks on the doors, burglar guards on the windows, security alarms and dogs to protect you, then you should know the crime is rife when come over.

If I had a choice between living the American dream and taking their middle class over ours, I would stay in the US.

I’m sorry if I sound negative, I’m not – but you can’t compare South Africa to your country, there are just too many differences. Living here and being positive and making do is one thing, choosing it over a life there is another.

But don’t take my word for it, I’m sure there are many other people who would disagree with me. I’m just giving my personal opinion.

14. says

Right behind you with this. Too many locals are so desperate to concentrate on the negatives. Was at a wedding this weekend and all the chat was them wanting to drag the country down.
    I’m not saying that it doesn’t have problems – of course it does. But why can’t people stand up and rememebr the good bits and shout about them?

15. says

Cricket moving countries is obviously a major life decision and I don’t feel that I am qualified to advise you about that.

I’m not going to make conjectures about whether your future would be better or worse should you move. There are too many variables involved and I don’t know you nor what makes you happy. :)

Sheena Gates, who wrote this article, responded by telling you that the crime is bad here. She’s not qualified to speak about Cape Town, however, since she lives in KwaZulu / Natal which is a very long way from where I am in Cape Town.

Crime is not bad in Cape Town. In fact, I haven’t experienced any since 2001.

You could be very happy here in Cape Town. I know I am. I’m not particularly keen to leave this place. If you’ve been here before and you love it, you might enjoy staying here.

Obviously, getting yourself settled into a nice home and a good position are the challenges. If you are not a South African citizen, you will also have to apply for permanent residence before you will be able to take up any employment.

Information about the red tape involved is online. I’m sure you will find it via Google. :)

Thanks for your comments. Hope to see you around again. :)

16. says

Sorry, I did mean South Africa’s crime rate in general, I wasn’t speaking for Cape Town itself. My mistake, I should have been clearer :)

17. says

Well aren’t you just a little ray of sunshine and information :P

Thanks Marko. Clearly Ed had a point when he pointed out my grammar and typing errors.

Sigh.

18. Marko says

Lol, me a little ray of sunshine ;) What’s the worst for you guys? My pet peeve is people that type ‘loose’ when they mean ‘lose’…

19. says

Oh no, Marko, there is definately something worse than that. Mine is when people say ‘your’ instead of ‘you’re’. I could literally bitchslap them up side the head!

20. says

I`M SEARCHING FOR SHEENA`S PICTURES TO SEE THOSE PANTIES OR KNICKERS OR WHATEVER THE HELL BUT ALL THAT`S CLOSE I ENCOUNTERED IS HER STICKING HER TONGUE IN A TANTALISING MANNER AND I WONDER IF SHE WAZS GETTING HOT UNDER THE COLLAR OR JUST A SLIP OF THE TONGUE.CAN WE SEE SOME SENSUAL AND JUICY AND SAUCY PHOTOS OF YOURS TAKEN FROM SANDY BAY OR SOME OTHER EXOTIC PLACE BUT NOT YOUR BEDROOM PLEASE,MRS SHEEBEE?

21. says

TO PROVE HERE THAT I`M NOY A RACIST AND CRUSADING AGAINST WHITES I THINK I MUST WHOLLY AGREE WITH ED HERE EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ALREADY GATHERED THAT ED IS NOT THE KIND THAT WILL SHARE WITH ME AND THAT HE WILL NEVER TOLERATE ME WALKING HAND-IN-HAND WITH THOSE EASY GOING AND LIBERAL TAMBOERSKLOOF OR GARDENS WHITE GIRLS.

SOUTH AFRICA OF THE PAST WAS MORE DEMOCRATIC THAN THE PRESENT SOUTH AFRICA AND POLITICIANS OF THE PAST WERE VERY ACCESSIBLE.YES,SAFETY WAS GUARANTEED AND WE WERE MUCH MUCH FREE THAN WE ARE TODAY.WHITE RACISM WAS NOT THAT DEVASTATIVE SINCE I USED TO GO TO WHITE CLUBS LIKE IDOLS IN LOOP STREET AND REALLY ENJOY MYSELF THERE .WHITE PEOPLE OF CAPETOWN USED TO ASK ME TO BEHAVE MYSELF MEANING I MUST NOT STEAL LADIES HANDBAGS OR HARRASS THEM.

YOU COULD GO PICKNICKING IF YOU WANT OR GO CAMPING FOR THE WEEKEND .OF COURSE BLACKS OF THE PAST WERE HIGHLY REESPECTEDSINCE THEY CONDUCT THEMSELVES IN A RESPECTFUL,RESPECTABLE AND PRESENTABLE FASHION.I REMEMBER WHEN I ARRIVED IN CAPETOWN IN THE MID 80`S TOP CLUBS LIKE THE GALAXY,SPACE ODDYSSEY AND PASCHA AT THE RITZ WANTED TO FIRE THEIR RESIDENT DJ`S AND TURN ME INTO THEIR RESIDENT DJ BUT I OPTED TO ASSIST THEIR DJ`S IN COMPILING MUSIC FOR THE NIGHT.

THE HOMELANDS WERE A NECESSITY SO AS TO KEEP US TIDE TO OUR TRADITIONAL BACKGROUNDS AND IT WAS THOSE BLACK RULERS WHO FUCK-UP.

THERE WAS RULE OF ;LAW PARTIALLY IN THE PAST I.E.THE BYLAWS WERE ENFORCED IMPARTIALLY.HOWEVER,FREEMASONS LIKE EDWARD WERE APPLYING THEIR OWN SATANIC AND VAMPIRISH RULE ON THE SIDES.EEN BOERTJIE-EEN KOELTJIE!

22. says

DEAD RIGHT!YOU NEED A MIDDLE TO HIGH INCOME JOB OR PLENTY OF BUCS TO MAKE IT IN CAPETOWN AS I FOUNDOUT IN 2003 WHEN I WAS THERE.AGAIN YOU NEED TO BE HUMOROUS OR HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR AND PUT YOUR AGENDAS AT THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD AND PLAY ALONG BY BEING EVERBODY`S PERSON.

IF YOU ARE EGOCENTRIC,SELFISH OR SELF CENTRED YOU DON`T BELONG IN CAPETOWN.IF YOU ARE GOING TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS YOU MUST FIND YOUR OWN COMMUNITY AND BE A PART OF THEIR LIFE IN RETURN FOR THEM TO SUPPORT YOUR BUSINESS.IF YOU WANT TO BE OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMMUNITY THEN YOU MUST ADOPT A COMMUNITY AND BE A PART OF THEM.FOR AN EXAMPLE IF YOU ADOPT AFRIKANERS YOU MUST KNOW AFRIKAANS SINCE AFRIKAANERS IN CAPETOWN ARE A LITTLE BIT DOF IN ENGLISH.

RICH IS RIGHT CRIME IS CONFINED IN CAPETOWN AND INTERSECTIONS AND KERBS ARE CLEARED AND THAT`S ANOTHER MUST.BUT IF YOU CAN GIVE IT TO THE ANC YOU MUST LEAVE SINCE TABLE MOUBTAIN WILL BE THE GRAZING PLACE FOR THE KHAYELITSHA LIVESTOCK AND FROM THERE THEY WILL BE DRIVEN TO THE SEA TO GO DRINK AND TO THE DOCK TO SPEND THE NIGHT.